Companies relocate to this area both from within the UK and overseas, often attracted by a growing economy, a strong entrepreneurial spirit and excellent R&D facilities and expertise, linked to world-leading colleges and universities.
Established, successful advanced engineering, manufacturing and hi-tech industry clusters.
A highly skilled, affordable labour supply.
Innovative R&D with world-leading colleges and universities.
Exceptional quality, competitive development sites, offices, innovation centres, and science and business parks in city, coastal and rural locations.
Within easy reach of London, the Midlands and countless international destinations by air, road, sea and rail.
An enticing mix of cities, rural and coastal areas ensure unbeatable quality of education, health, housing, culture, food and leisure.
The Heart of the South West Soft-Landing package offers a bespoke service for relocating and growing businesses.
The Heart of the South West has a large population of almost 1.7 million.
HotSW economy worth 2.5% of England total.
Per capita productivity average matching the national average.
- 78.7% economically active (77.4% UK average)
- 13.8% skilled trade occupations (10.5% UK average)
- 6.4% process plant and manufacturing operations (ONS, 2014).
- Unemployment rate 2.3% (UK average 3.7%) (NOMIS, 2013).
- 137,000 in professional occupations.
- 77,900 managers, directors and senior officials.
- Higher proportion of skilled tradespeople than the UK as a whole.
- Despite skills levels being above the national average, labour costs are average at £11.24 per hour (£13.25 UK average).